Welcome to MKFM - we're on a mission to bring local radio back to Milton Keynes.
We believe passionately that Milton Keynes is a unique city with a distinct identity which should have its own radio station.
MKFM has the support of Milton Keynes Council who voted unanimously to back the station and both our local Members of Parliament, Iain Stewart MP and Mark Lancaster MP.
Weâ€™re a not for profit company set up by the former management team of Horizon Radio and currently run entirely by volunteers.
MKFM is limited to broadcasting for two months a year on FM until it gains a full time license. We completed four successful trial broadcasts on FM in July 2011, December 2011, July 2012 and December 2012, with a further two planned for Summer and Christmas 2013.
The trial broadcasts are an opportunity to demonstrate how a full time radio station would benefit the community, and to gather support from listeners and local organisations.
You can leave us a message of support on our website at www.mkfm.com/support
MKFM will be applying to Ofcom for a full time community radio license as soon as it becomes available in this area in early 2014.
MKFM has 7 important objectives for both on and off air which we aim to demonstrate during our trial broadcasts...
OBJECTIVE 1: MKFM will be a popular, mainstream radio station aimed at Under 35â€™s in Milton Keynes
- There is currently no mainstream local radio service aimed at under 35â€™s in Milton Keynes.
- The frequency which was licensed for a local radio service for Milton Keynes in 1990 now carries 7 hours a day of regional output covering four counties.
- The effect is that the sense of community in Milton Keynes is eroded. Pete Winkleman from MK Dons has told MKFM he feels the withdrawl of local radio support has contributed to a decline in ticket sales and many local events and good causes must rely on local press for awareness.
- MKFM seeks to bring back mainstream local radio to Milton Keynes.
OBJECTIVE 2: MKFM will undertake a high profile marketing campaign to inform the local audience that they now have a choice of listening
- Eye catching studio pod outside Xscape
- Massive leaflet campaign with The Leaflet Delivery Company to 20,000 homes in July 2011 and 50,000 homes in November 2011, July 2012 and November 2012
- Primetime coverage on ITV Anglia news on every bulletin for original launch
- Station branding at key locations across Milton Keynes including Midsummer Place shopping centre and Xscape
- Giant branded bouncy slide provided to local events
- MKFM Black Panther street team active across MK at hundreds of local events from carnivals, Christmas Light switchons, fundays, school fetes, sports events and music events including Samantha The Panther radio station mascot and branded radio station vehicle
- Extensive poster campaigns in shop windows in Stony Stratford, Bletchley, Wolverton, Newport Pagnell and all local centres
- 5,000 Car stickers distributed across Milton Keynes via local events, BP petrol stations, branches of Mcdonalds and Midsummer Place Shopping Centre information desk.
- Extensive facebook, twitter and online campaign
- Word of mouth publicity from our army of over 100 volunteers
- Posters in all Arriva buses in MK
- Over 90,000 fliers distributed at events
- Daily outside broadcast from Midsummer Place shopping centre every lunchtime during December 2011.
- Official media partner of many major events across Milton Keynes from fireworks to festivals, Christmas Light Switchons and carnivals
- Branding, street team and mascot at all MK Dons home games
- MKFM Ice Party every Friday at Planet Ice
- Live outside broadcasts from major local nightclubs every Saturday night whilst on FM (currently from WonderWorld nightclub
OBJECTIVE 3: MKFM will support and promote charity and community groups
MKFM has featured many community groups on air to raise awareness of their work and attended over 300 events since we launched.
Galleries from every event we visit are in the PHOTOS section of this website.
OBJECTIVE 4: MKFM will promote local music on air alongside a mainstream mix of current music aimed at under-35â€™s
Many local performers and bands have benefited from radio airplay, interviews and live performances on MKFM and exposure at the many local music events we have supported.
- Lunchtime Live â€“ Daily live public performance at our studio at Xscape during the Summer and from Midsummer Place shopping centre at Christmas.
- The MK Music Show â€“ Every Wednesday evening, the best local bands are featured on the show with exclusive live sessions recorded at Hillside Studios, recordings of gigs from around Milton Keynes, interviews and video content. The team work hard to attend as many music events as possible across the week.
- Open Mic Contest â€“ MKFM and Real Music ran a competition open to everyone at First Base bar in Xscape every Sunday. Performers have the opportunity to be noticed by MKFM producers, local record labels and compete for a cash prize with the final broadcast live on FM in December, judged by Artful Dodger and Ed Sheeranâ€™s cousin Alonestar.
- Band Brawl â€“ A local band contest at the Craufurd Arms supported by MKFM.
- Willen Hospice Single â€“ MKFM exclusively playlisted a song by local singer Gilly Giddings during December 2011. The song was released to suppot Willen Hospice and was available in the hospice shops across MK.
- Frixtion â€“ Local 19 year old rapper Adam Gates has been playlisted on MKFM, we broadcast his performance at Oceana supporting Chipmunk live on air on 27/7/11 and have offered his single as a free download to all MKFM Facebook fans.
- Haddon Beats â€“ MKFM invited the pop group of people with learning difficulties from the Macintyre Centre to perform live on air during Lunchtime Live and played their music on our afternoon show.
- MK Bowl Events â€“ MKFM was the local radio partner for Foo Fighters and Swedish House Mafia gigs, we gave away over 20 pairs of tickets for the concerts, our street team attended the event and we gave live travel news for concert goers before and after the events. We also featured exclusive interviews with Swedish House Mafia on air.
- MKFM Music Events â€“ MKFM has presented local acts on stage at many local events such as the charity nights at Red Hot World Buffet, Parklife Festival, Summer Fayre Festival, World Picnic and Fenny Poppers Festival and Diverse Arts Live with MK Equality Council,
- Groovy Gecko â€“ MKFM promotes and hosts nights for people with learning difficulties every month with InterAction MK
- Tea Monkey Live â€“ Open mic event broadcast live from Midsummer Place.
- Kind of a Big Deal â€“ A showcase of local acts exclusively promoted by MKFM
- BK & Kaz â€“ MKFM promoted local duoâ€™s album launch at Groove nightclub.
- Specialist Music Shows â€“ MKFM plays a diverse range of specialist music with genres ranging from rock to dubstep, dance to hiphop.
- Showtime â€“ Steven Gordon Wilson presents a weekly show dedicated to local arts in Milton Keynes featuring interviews and audio from MK Theatre, The Stables, Crucible Theatre and arts events.â€ƒ
- Stevens On Sunday - Weekly arts magazine programme featuring studio guests from local authors to artists across all local arts.
OBJECTIVE 5: MKFM will provide a full service of local news and information including travel news, sport and whatâ€™s on information
- MKFM broadcasts travel news specific to Milton Keynes three times an hour on breakfast and drive and hourly across the rest of the day with information provided by INRIX Media.
- During our FM broadcasts our news team cover many local news stories, led by Victoria Meakin, former local reporter for Horizon Radio and Heart 103.3
- MKFM have attended every MK Dons match at Stadium MK
- During the July 2011 trial broadcast, we carried full match commentary on MK Dons v Tottenham Hotspur presented by former Heart/Horizon commentator Mikey Burrows. This was very well received and we have the full support of the MK Dons for the radio station.
- MKFM has been working closely with MK Lions to promote local basketball. Vince McAuley is a regular guest on air, we attend every match at the Lions Arena and MK Lions players present a weekly show called In Love And Basketball featuring HipHop and basketball news.
- MKFM also supports MK Lightning, local rugby and hockey teams and is keen to help promote any other smaller sports clubs who we can find and feature their news and results on our Saturday sports show.
- MKFM is committed to broadcasting a comprehensive list of school closures, nursery closures and the impact of extreme weather conditions on air and already includes a live feed from the council school closure database on the website.
- Regular features are broadcast including a weekly local restaurant review with The Food Whisperer, recipes for kids from Crafty Cooks, a Parks Trust feature on local events, movie and theatre reviews, book reviews and a local facts segment.
- MKFMâ€™s studio pod is situated outside Xscape in a high footfall area and we are always available for people to drop in and promote their event or activity, request a song or send a message to someone.
OBJECTIVE 6: MKFM will give the community the opportunity to be involved in every area of the radio station, in particular local young people from all backgrounds
- MKFM is proud to have over 100 volunteers who work alongside our team of experienced radio professionals.
- Radio and music can reach disaffected youth in an unique way and give a voice to those who feel detached from mainstream society. Our coaching programme aims to develop local talent so we can offer live on air experience at a high standard.
- We offer industry standard training and the opportunity to learn from former commercial radio staff with genuine practical experience of working for a radio station.
- Our presenters range from 12 years old up to 50 and are trained to ensure our output is relevant, professional and engaging for a mass audience.
- There are many ways for people to get involved both on air, as part of our street team and with other roles from designing posters to engineering.
- MKFM has been running a weekly workshop at Radcliffe School in Wolverton since September 2011 where a group of Year 10 pupils put together a radio show which is broadcast live on MKFM from the school.
- MKFM work with Countec on projects to introduce practical workplace challenges to pupils from local schools
- Every Sunday, our MK Pride show provides valuable sources of information and a sense of community to the local lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community
- For two years MKFM has hosted a high profile annual fashion show at Midsummer Place for young designers from local schools and colleges in conjunction with Perception PR and the designs are featured at mkfm.com.
- Film students from Stantonbury Campus present a weekly video film review.â€ƒ
OBJECTIVE 7: MKFM will support the local economy and local businesses by offering an affordable platform to promote their services and products
MKFM are grateful for the support of many local companies and organisations and offer them affordable access to radio advertising in return for their support.
A complete list of companies who have supported us can be seen on the OUR ADVERTISERS page of our website. In addition we would like to thank the following for their support:
- Milton Keynes Council
- Marshall Amplification
- Midsummer Place
- Xscape â€“ Provide MKFM with high profile premises on front piazza
- Interdirect â€“ Provide marketing support and consultancy and designed the MKFM brand
- The Theatre District
- The Hub MK / Jardine PR
- Drive-Hire â€“ Provider of street team vehicle during our first broadcast
- Skyline Taxis
- Johnsons Honda
- Atomic Tyres
- Kiss Gyms
- Re-Use Centre
- RGS Entertainment
- Red Hot World Buffet
- Nosaints t/a Wonderworld
- Milton Keynes Theatre
- ITV Anglia â€“ Launch coverage on primetime local news bulletins
- Arriva â€“ Displayed MKFM posters in all local buses during July
- The Leaflet Delivery Company â€“ Delivered 50,000 MKFM leaflets free of charge
- Milton Keynes Flyer Magazine
- Lunar Safari, Nemo Designs and Safenames â€“ Provided free website hosting
- The Parks Trust
- Destination MK
- Perception PR
- MK Dons / MK Dons S.E.T
- MK Lions
- MK Lightning / Planet Ice
- Inspired Design & Print Solutions
- McDonalds (MK Francisee)
- La Collina
- The Three Trees
- The Cricketers Arms
- Calcutta Brasserie
- Keith Emmett & Sons
- Lloyds No.1
- Livingstone White PR
- MK National Bowl
- Bletchley Park
...and many more...